[c-nsp] EoMPLS - port mode to vlan mode

Laurent Geyer lgeyer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 17:04:58 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Saku Ytti <saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi> wrote:
> On (2009-02-13 13:50 -0500), Laurent Geyer wrote:
>
>> Any reason why you believe I need to use pseudo wire classes here?
>
> Because you need to dig out ethernet frame out from mismatching headers
> in each end-point.
> For all IOS cares, other side could be ATM in this case, it simply
> does not match to the other side.

Ok, I see what you're saying.

Still, you cannot define a networking type for a pseudo wire until
mpls encapsulation is enabled.

I just tested what you suggested and the output for `show mpls
l2transport vc 821 detail' is the same whether I use a pseudo wire
class like you suggested, or I simply define encapsulation mpls on the
interface level.

pseudowire-class vltun-ethtun
 encapsulation mpls
 interworking ethernet

interface GigabitEthernet2/20
 mtu 9216
 no ip address
 speed nonegotiate
 xconnect <remote IP> 821 pw-class vltun-ethtun
end

show mpls l2transport vc 821 detail
Local interface: Gi2/20 up, line protocol up, Ethernet up
  Destination address: <remote IP>, VC ID: 821, VC status: up
    Output interface: Vl2, imposed label stack {291 209}
    Preferred path: not configured
    Default path: active
    Next hop: <next hop>
  Create time: 00:00:06, last status change time: 00:00:06
  Signaling protocol: LDP, peer <remote IP>:0 up
    Targeted Hello: <lo IP> (LDP Id) -> <remote IP>
    Status TLV support (local/remote)   : enabled/supported
      Label/status state machine        : established, LruRru
      Last local dataplane   status rcvd: no fault
      Last local SSS circuit status rcvd: no fault
      Last local SSS circuit status sent: no fault
      Last local  LDP TLV    status sent: no fault
      Last remote LDP TLV    status rcvd: no fault
    MPLS VC labels: local 604, remote 209
    Group ID: local 0, remote 0
    MTU: local 9216, remote 9216
    Remote interface description:
  Sequencing: receive disabled, send disabled
  VC statistics:
    packet totals: receive 0, send 0
    byte totals:   receive 0, send 0
    packet drops:  receive 0, seq error 0, send 0

interface GigabitEthernet2/20
 mtu 9216
 no ip address
 speed nonegotiate
 xconnect <remote IP> 821 encapsulation mpls
end

show mpls l2transport vc 821 detail
Local interface: Gi2/20 up, line protocol up, Ethernet up
  Destination address: <remote IP>, VC ID: 821, VC status: up
    Output interface: Vl2, imposed label stack {291 209}
    Preferred path: not configured
    Next hop: <next hop IP>
  Create time: 00:00:22, last status change time: 00:00:22
  Signaling protocol: LDP, peer <remote IP>:0 up
    Targeted Hello: <local IP>(LDP Id) -> <remote IP>
    Status TLV support (local/remote)   : enabled/supported
      Label/status state machine        : established, LruRru
      Last local dataplane   status rcvd: no fault
      Last local SSS circuit status rcvd: no fault
      Last local SSS circuit status sent: no fault
      Last local  LDP TLV    status sent: no fault
      Last remote LDP TLV    status rcvd: no fault
    MPLS VC labels: local 603, remote 209
    Group ID: local 0, remote 0
    MTU: local 9216, remote 9216
    Remote interface description:
  Sequencing: receive disabled, send disabled
  VC statistics:
    packet totals: receive 6, send 7
    byte totals:   receive 732, send 1214
    packet drops:  receive 0, seq error 0, send 0