[c-nsp] Router requirement

Cory Ayers cayers at ena.com
Mon Feb 16 21:30:36 EST 2009

We have a 2801 that holds at ~35% CPU while pushing 70Mbps+ from port to
port day in/out:  basic QOS, BGP for default origination only, 12.4(1c)
Advanced IP Services K9.  Naturally if you add NAT, NBAR, extensive QOS,
etc. these numbers will change dramatically.  IMO a 2821 would
definitely do the job and provide copper Gigabit capabilities, although
not wire speed.  However, depending on what you're trying to do, the
ME3400-2CS-A might be the best choice with both optical and electrical
hand-offs and scalability to Gigabit.  We typically prefer a 2800 at the
edge for links <100Mbps for features like NAT, and go with a switch for
anything >100Mbps.

Cory

>>Pete Barnwell wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Wonder if anybody can help me with selecting the right router for
CPE?