[c-nsp] SPLIT ETHERNET

Chris Burwell cburwell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 21:02:55 EST 2009

This sounds like port channel/Etherchannel. HP calls this trunking on
their procurve line.

When you are talking about switching equipment, this is usually used
when you want to incorporate redundant network links. For example, if
you want to have to uplink ports from an edge switch back to your core
you could put the two ports in an Etherchannel. When you do this, the
switch treats the two ports as one.

A major advantage of doing this is convergence. If you had a similar
setup to what I described above, but instead used STP to block one of
the ports and prevent loops, it would take a longer amount (a few
seconds with rstp) of time for the switch to fail over to the other
port if one should fail (That time is called convergence). With
Etherchannel, convergence is really not an issue since the switch
treats both ports as one.

I hope this helps.

- Chris