[c-nsp] Max number of users on Aironet 1252AG

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 11 22:15:09 EST 2009

--- On Mon, 12/1/09, Skeeve Stevens <skeeve at skeeve.org> wrote:

> From: Skeeve Stevens <skeeve at skeeve.org>
> Subject: [c-nsp] Max number of users on Aironet 1252AG
> To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
> Date: Monday, 12 January, 2009, 12:34 PM
> Hey all,
>
> I need to come up with a quick solution for a large scale
> temporary wireless
> solution.
>
> It is for some roving festivals and the request has been
> for 4000
> connections. but I think I can talk them down.

Is this 4000 simultaneous connections (all using it at once), or total number of users that will be in attendance and maybe wanting to use a wifi connection at some point ? If it's total number, any idea on how many might be connected at any point in time ?

> What I am wondering is. How many simultaneous users can a
> 1252AG handle?

A previous poster suggested 25-30 users per AP. A quick search reveals quite a few credible sites with similar figures. I'm sure you can do the math, that's quite a few AP's.

MS suggests an average of 2-4 users "is a good average to maximize the performance while still effectively utilizing the wireless LAN" :)

> And is there any difference in capacity if I use
> lightweight units and
> backend into a Wireless access controller?  In fact. how
> many users can they
> (4402) handle?

Doesn't appear to be a "user" limit on the 4400 range. They are limited based on how many AP's they can control.

4402 comes in 12, 25 & 50 AP models. 4404 is for up to 100 AP's.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps6302/ps8322/ps6307/product_data_sheet0900aecd802570b0_ps6366_Products_Data_Sheet.html

regards,
Tony.