[c-nsp] cisco.com password management

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Jan 12 09:56:51 EST 2009

Am I the only one being presented to a new "password management" feature
on tools.cisco.com? They're asking:

> As part of our ongoing effort to keep your account secure, we are now
> requiring you to set up two security questions before you reset your
> password. You will only need to do this once. In the future you can
> use your security questions to verify your identify on Cisco.com or if
> you ever need assistance retrieving your password.
>
> As a safeguarding measure, please provide your e-mail address and
> password to continue this security enrollment process; you will be
> automatically redirected to your requested Cisco.com page upon
> completion
>
> NOTE: Security questions do not replace your user ID and password;
> they provide added protection to prevent unauthorized account access.

This is obviously bollocks. Security questions _DO_ replace my user ID
and password if they can be used to get access to an account.

What part of Cisco made this up? Why are they in charge?

Regards,
Peter