[c-nsp] High CPU utilization caused by the TPLUS process

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Tue Jan 13 14:15:32 EST 2009

Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> Several times in the past month we have had high CPU utilization
> caused by the TPLUS process, which I think is caused by stuck CLI
> users.  As far as I can tell the only way to remedy the problem is to
> reload the switch and/or router (this affects many different systems
> with very different software versions and hardware).  "clear line X"
> and "disconnect ssh X" have no effect.  Is there some way to recover
> from this situation other than reloading the switch?  This output is
> typical of a switch/router that has the problem:

The TPLUS process is tacacs if I recall correctly.  What do your tacacs
server logs indicate is happening during the high CPU time?

How are these users connecting?  If it's async of VTY have you
configured an idle exec timeout for those sessions?  That should boot of
idle users automatically.

Justin