[c-nsp] High CPU utilization caused by the TPLUS process

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Jan 13 14:22:09 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Justin Shore <justin at justinshore.com> wrote:
> Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
>>
>> Several times in the past month we have had high CPU utilization
>> caused by the TPLUS process, which I think is caused by stuck CLI
>> users.  As far as I can tell the only way to remedy the problem is to
>> reload the switch and/or router (this affects many different systems
>> with very different software versions and hardware).  "clear line X"
>> and "disconnect ssh X" have no effect.  Is there some way to recover
>> from this situation other than reloading the switch?  This output is
>> typical of a switch/router that has the problem:
>
> The TPLUS process is tacacs if I recall correctly.  What do your tacacs
> server logs indicate is happening during the high CPU time?
>
> How are these users connecting?

SSH.

> If it's async of VTY have you configured an idle exec timeout for those sessions?

Yes.  I set the exec-timeout to 30 minutes and it works in the normal case.

> That should boot of idle users automatically.

Unfortunately it does not.

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"