[c-nsp] GRE on Cat-4948 switch

Geyer, Nick nick.geyer at eds.com
Wed Jan 14 16:59:47 EST 2009

I tried this once as a 'last shot' solution for a problem I was
encountering, across gig network with sustained traffic rate over the
tunnel of around 80Mbps. CPU instantly skyrocketed and the switch cried
no more. The switch had very minimal other traffic (around 20Mbps) and
very basic config, no ACL's and all static routing with a little bit of
RIP.

Based on that first hand experience, I would say that the impact will be
a non functioning network and would highly recommend against doing it.

Regards,

Nick.