[c-nsp] Acceptance Test Procedure for New Cisco Devices

Marc Binderberger marc at sniff.de
Tue Jan 20 19:08:41 EST 2009

Hi Ziv,

> But I guess we'll finally opt for letting the Cisco QA be enough as
> a guarantee the devices work (there's always RMA) and have Alex's
> suggestion be the winner here, just be as nebulous as you can and
> follow the "ill-defined and metaphysical characteristique" of such
> undefined term as "Acceptance Test Procedure"

Is a hardware failure what the customer is worried about?  You
mentioned a turn-key solution and as a customer I would be more
worried about if the solution actually works as expected. The detail
that you have RMA contracts with Cisco and within what time is only
part of it. Routers/Firewalls are mostly a software product with all
the consequences.

Regarding the "ill-defined" - may work. Sometimes it also works to be
extremely detailed. You describe a test procedure in the very detail,
so there is no doubt what you have tested and how to reproduce it.
Doesn't mean the test has to be complicated - even if it's trivial you
can hide this is many test steps ;-)

E.g. power-cycling a whole setup is a valid test - after an power
outage you want your solution come back up again.

Regards, Marc

Marc Binderberger           <marc at sniff.de>