[c-nsp] Hardware limitations on SUP32 with LDP and full routing table

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Jan 23 08:22:04 EST 2009

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Phil Mayers wrote:

>> If RIB and FIB differ and by that forwarding isn't done along the
>> paths the protocols selected it is a bug. Either there's a
>> 'fail-over' mode into software when TCAM is full - which is what
>> documentation and error message say - or there isn't.
>
> I can't speak for the 6500 BU, but they've told me in the past:
>
> "If it isn't supported in hardware, it's not supported."

"supported" and "intended to work" can be two different things.

> I suspect the software forwarding path is simply not supported on a 6500.

I think it's "supposed to work" at least for IPv4, but my understanding
has been that on any platform, MPLS/tag-switching absolutely requires CEF,
which on the 6500 I suspect means hardware forwarding.

> I do not think your expectations match the intent of the 6500 BU, based on
> what I've been told in the past.

As has been said before...it's unfortunate cisco decided not to do a
Sup32-3bxl.  It renders the Sup32 unsuitable for use in networks where a
Sup2 doesn't cut it, but Sup720-3bxl is overkill.