[c-nsp] WS-X cards on Cat6500 with VPLS

Marlon Duksa mduksa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 16:57:40 EST 2009

What I  meant is:1) can you run 12.2.(33)SXH software in a 7600 chassis with
SUP720 or
2)  can you run 12.2(33)SRD software on an RSP720 in Cat 6500 chassis?Or is
there a microcode hack in the chassis that prevents this from happening, for
example an epprom in the chassis that would tell that it is 6500 vs 7600?

Thanks,
Marlon

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Phil Bedard <philxor at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a reason why it's called a 7600-ES20...they do not work with
> 6500s.
> You'll have to talk to your Cisco account rep about that one. :)
>
> Phil
>

> On Jan 28, 2009, at 3:54 PM, Marlon Duksa wrote:
>
>  Got it. Thanks much. One more question. Can 7600 line cards (ES20,
>> RSPs...)
>> be reused in cat6500 chassis with the proper IOS (12.2(33).SRD). In other
>> words can 6500 chassis be converted into 7600 and vice versa?If not, do
>> you
>> know why? The chassis look exactly the same.
>> Thanks,
>> Marlon
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Arie Vayner (avayner)
>> <avayner at cisco.com>wrote:
>>
>>  Marlon,
>>>
>>> VPLS requires either SIP or ES20 cards both on customer and core facing
>>> sides.
>>> The only way you could do something is to have a central VPLS solution,
>>> with the spokes using point to point EoMPLS PW's.
>>> You can run a VPLS domain on a single box (with ES20/SIP), while running
>>> point to point to point PW's to that box.
>>>
>>> For ES20 and VPLS features, it is better to look at 7600 and not 6500.
>>>
>>> Arie

>>> 10GE SPA to provide VPLS service on the network side (through MPLS) and
>>> have
>>> GE ports on the WS type cards for access. Each GE port in the access on
>>> WS-X.. type cards should support multiple VLANs so that each VLAN can be
>>> assigned to a differetn customer (VPLS).
>>> Thanks,
>>> Marlon