[c-nsp] Maximum spannig tree instances

Shine Joseph shinejoseph at dodo.com.au
Sun Jul 12 16:27:25 EDT 2009

Hi,

I searched in the archives if I could find the answer to my this query. =
The result was negative.

How many spanning-tree instances are possible in Rapid PVST+ and MST =
modes in Cisco 6500 series switches with Sup720?

The only documentation that I could see which says about total number of =
virtual ports per line card and total active logical ports. There is no =
reference to  number of instances.

The following netpro link mentions about 4096 instances, but this point =
is not validated.
http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=3Dnetprof&forum=3DNet=
work%20Infrastructure&topic=3DLAN%2C%20Switching%20and%20Routing&topicID=3D=
.ee71a04&CommCmd=3DMB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40=
%40.2cc1484e/2#selected_message

Any links or pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Shine