[c-nsp] Maximum spannig tree instances

Clinton Work clinton at scripty.com
Sun Jul 12 17:37:31 EDT 2009

The short answer is that the 6500 platform spanning-tree scalability is
limited by virtual ports and the complexity of your spanning-tree
topology.  If you only have a couple of trunks carrying all 4096 VLANs
then you'll be fine.  If you have a lot FastE ports trunking hundreds of
VLANs then you will quickly run into the virtual port limits.

The 12.2SXF release notes indicate the virtual port limits which can be
checked against the "show vlan virtual-port" command output.  The
documentation isn't clear, but the 6500 spanning-tree limits are based
upon virtual ports rather than logical ports (ex CatOS, 4500, ..).  If
you check that 12.2SXI release notes you'll see that Cisco included
enhancements that increase the virtual port scalability numbers.   Note,
RST is listed as RPVST+ in the table.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/release/notes/OL_4164.html#wp26366