[c-nsp] Maximum spannig tree instances

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jul 16 05:30:10 EDT 2009

David Hughes wrote:
> On 15/07/2009, at 8:02 AM, Phil Mayers wrote:
>
>> R-PVST + manual VLAN management works like a charm here.
>
> ..... works like a charm until it doesn't.   Any PV based STP will not
> work in a dense server virtualisation environment.  So these days

I'm glad it works for you, I really am. But I'm definitely not
interested in getting into a food fight about which STP protocol is
"better" ;o)

In all seriousness, both MST and PVST are an appropriate tool for some
jobs, and not for others. Few of the jobs I've personally come across
were suited to MST, hence I have a better opinion of PVST, but it's just
that - an opinion. There's no absolute right or wrong here.

Hopefully the info presented in the thread will help the OP choose which
is appropriate for them.

The point that lower-end switches have serious instance limitations is a
good one though - especially (as you later describe) when doing
top-of-rack switching and hundreds of VLANs.