[c-nsp] Maximum spannig tree instances

David Hughes david at hughes.com.au
Thu Jul 16 06:18:57 EDT 2009

On 16/07/2009, at 4:48 PM, Gert Doering wrote:

> Well, of course it won't work if you use a switch that has a 64-
> instance
> limit.  So don't...

Well, when we broke the 128 instance limit on our access layer we
moved to MST :)  We have hundreds of vlans trunked to our ESX clusters
so there's no access class switch from Cisco that can handle that with
PVST.  Also, if you use blade chassis with embedded switch modules
(IBM H-class with Cisco switches for example) you run out of STP
instances pretty quickly. For smaller virtualisation clusters you
could get away with *PVST but it doesn't work in our hosting
environment.

Thanks

David