[c-nsp] edge router BGP

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Thu Jul 16 17:20:50 EDT 2009

Mark Tinka wrote:
> I was thinking more, ASR1000 series. Will do wire rate, has
> a large enough control plane to handle multiple full tables
> to customers, is the natural progression from the 7200-VXR
> platform, e.t.c.

I second (third?) the ASR 1002 suggestion.  @ list price the 5Gbps ASR
1002 is only a few $k more than the 7206VXR w/ the NPE-G2 or the 7201.
It has 5x the backplane to boot plus it's hardware forwarding.  The only
real downside IMHO is that the unit uses SPAs which require SmartNets
per SPA (per license and per a lot of other things for that matter too).
  Still it's a much better box for a little bit more up front.  I plan
on replacing my 7206 border routers with ASR 1002 or 1004s when the time
comes.

Justin