[c-nsp] x6148 vs. x6548

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Thu Jul 16 18:22:18 EDT 2009

Mike, please see inline below:

At 10:45 AM 7/16/2009, M Callahan opined:
>We have several 3560G switches deployed as access switches in a
>small data center environment.  With the increased use of Gig at the
>access layer, the notion of using EtherChannel to get increased
>uplink bandwidth back to a WS-X6548-GE is something we've been
>discussing recently too.  As has been discussed, this won't work the
>way we'd like it to due to the over subscription design of the
>X6548. That said, would an EtherChannel setup between the SFP ports
>on the 3560G and a X6516-GBIC card in the 6509 have any similar type
>of limitation, or would it work to acheive the increased uplink bandwidth?

6516 is basically 16 1G ports feeding into a single 8G fabric
channel, so 2:1 oversubscribed if all ports are pumping. But it's not
port level oversubscription, so you could definitely use this card &
it is very typically used in this manner.

You just need to engineer it such that enough uplink b/w and agg
layer capacity exists to support the access layer, based on the
environment. Oversubscription ratios are very application/environment
specific, anywhere from 1:1 all the way to 20:1 or more, so some
baselining etc might be in order.

>Also, is the only difference between the WS-X6516-GBIC and the
>WS-X6516A-GBIC the per port buffer size?

Of the top of my head, that, and the replacement of Titan/Medusa
chips with the Hyperion ASIC for multicast replication & fabric
interface. Hyperion permits the use of egress replication with the A
version of the card.

HTH,
Tim

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Cisco Nexus 7000
Cisco - http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759