[c-nsp] Free NMS Tools

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Jul 17 10:50:21 EDT 2009

On (2009-07-17 15:26 +0200), Michele Bergonzoni wrote:

First thank you for your reply Michele, SANET sounds interesting,
and I'll definitely take a look at it.

> >People want NMS to automatically monitor BGP
> In the library there is the check for the BGP neighborship state:
> "1.3.6.1.2.1.15.3.1.2.$peer_ip:$community@$node == 6"
>
> it is not "automatic" because in sanet you have to decide all the
> monitoring that you want it to do.

My view for defaults is, if users device has BGP neighbours, vastly larger
amount of users want them to be monitored than not, so my sane default
would then to have feature default on.

Also monitoring BGP is not just up/down, but also amount of prefixes
received, of course amount of people care about this, is lot smaller than
those who care about up/down, but SP's care.

> >IS-IS
> Sorry no IS-IS here, but of course you can define your own if you know
> the OIDs. Please contribute it back if you do.

As you explained that at the moment is is rather chore to setup the
program, I guess I'll wait for the more official launch. But I'll
definitely take a look at it, and will commit something back, if I'll use
it. Thanks.

> >This type of 'trending' module should be relatively easy, and could
> This is a good idea, I will try to think about how this can fit into our
> existing software or if a new check type is needed for that.

One way could be, that you project current number with average change from
last n hours|days|weeks|months and see if projected number hits limit
within n hours|days|weeks|months.

> We measure installations from the number of targets (yes/no checks) and
> measures (graphs). One of our big ones is:
>
> root at XXXXXX:~# sanet-cli
> Configuration defines 831 interfaces, 523 nodes, 409 links, 9868

One of the boxes in my zenoss quick demo had more interfaces, and the 20
boxes were just few I chose for the demo. I have no trouble buying more
boxes to handle all the devices I'd need to, but I'd hope single server
could cope with bit higher number than 20 boxes.

--
  ++ytti