[c-nsp] OT: Network documentation tool

Pavel Skovajsa pavel.skovajsa at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 15:53:21 EDT 2009

Hi,

I believe the way the networks you manage is documented is one of the
main factors of the quality of everyday delivery. The reason for that
is that the network is "supported/operated" by different people that
actually built it, at least on the "early" levels of support.

The corrolary is, that as network-builder you need to perform a
knowledge tranfer to the support organization, therefore you need to
provide some kind of meaningful documentation. After that all you need
to do, is to find an efficient way for the support organization to
orientate in the vasts amount of documented information, to be able to
find the necessary info in timely fashion.

Having said this, it is obvious that no documenting system that allows
free unstructured placement of information is the correct answer.
Therefore I believe that no "free unstructured" documenting system
like Sharepoint, Wiki or CIFS is ideal for this job.

The need is for "strict&structured" documenting system that holds that
information about the entities on your network and their relationship.
The nature of network information that we want to document is indeed
structured therefore easily modeled by traditional decomposition
techniques. To give you an example:

1. basic entity is a device that has number of attributes - name, IP,
serial number, location etc.
2. devices have number of interfaces, each with attributes like name,
technology, speed etc. Interfaces link devices together and can be
monitored or not via our monitoring system.
3. devices belong to sites, which have subnets, visual maps, real post
addresses and people contacts
4. sites are connected by WAN links (on device interfaces) into
regions that have management contacts etc.

etc. etc.

This information can be then used more that for documentation
purposes, for example, billing, reporting etc. etc. whatever you think
about - for example devices can be linked with CVSView output from
RANCID.

No I do not know any open-source system that would have all of this,
that is why most big companies usually find some budget in order to
get something like above written from scratch.

-Pavel