[c-nsp] Maximum spannig tree instances

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Mon Jul 20 16:44:10 EDT 2009

At 01:06 PM 7/18/2009, Matt Buford opined:
>On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 11:55 PM, Tim Stevenson
><<mailto:tstevens at cisco.com>tstevens at cisco.com> wrote:
>The 6500/sup720 on 33SXI supports 100K logical ports in MST, and 12K
>in RPVST. That's up from 50K/10K in every prior release.
>

>Did the per-slot limitation change too?

According to the release notes, which is the official point of
documentation for the VP limits:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/release/notes/ol_14271.html#wp26366

There is no change in the per slot numbers, and the per slot limits
do not apply to 67xx & 65xx modules (there is a bug about the limit
syslog still appearing for these module types, which should not).

>N7K supports 75K in MST & 16K in RPVST today. There are no
>per-module limitations on N7K.
>
>Those numbers are based on the requirements we expressed to
>QA/system test prior to FCS. The original numbers were confirmed
>prior to 33SXI was released. Since then, we have not had a customer
>requirement/request to support more, so frankly we have not felt
>compelled to go and requalifify for anything greater. Would be
>curious to know how many logical ports you are running today & in
>what protocol?
>

>First, I'm sorry for not being clear.  While the virtual port
>per-slot limitation is an issue with our distribution switches, when
>we discussed a Nexus based solution with Cisco the big sticking
>point was actually with using the 5000 series as access switches for
>customer servers to plug into in the data center.

I see, that makes more sense.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Cisco Nexus 7000
Cisco - http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759