[c-nsp] 7206 NPE-G2 crash caused by a bouncing DS1

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Jul 22 12:16:41 EDT 2009

Has anyone out there experienced any 7206 crashes when they have a
bouncing DS1 on a PA-MC-2T3-EC?  We've had 2 crashes in about 3 weeks
time.  They've both generated crashinfo files.  The first auto-rebooted
itself.  Yesterday's did not.

System returned to ROM by error - a SegV exception, PC 0x349404 at
16:27:25 UTC Tue Jul 21 2009

The G2 is running 12.4(24)T.  I'm working with TAC who's escalated it to
the developers.  They're thinking that it's an IOS bug that's being set
off when a DS1 flaps (though not every time of course).  I don't know if
severe and lengthy flapping is necessary or if a single instance could
happen at just the right time to make it crash.  Both times though a DS1
was bouncing every second or two and had been for days.  Both DS1s were
members of MLPPP bundles at the time too.

Has anyone else experiences similar issues?

Thanks
  Justin