[c-nsp] Questions about upgrading and image of a Modular IOS

Hughes, Scott GRE/MG SHughes at GREnergy.com
Thu Jul 23 13:15:12 EDT 2009

Yes, you need to install to a different (non-existing) directory for the new image.

The 'install bind' *should* do the work of adding the proper boot commands.

If you have dual-supervisors, you can simply force a switchover instead of a full reload for decreased downtime. If you have dual-supervisors, be sure to do the "install file" step for both disk0: and slavedisk0:

If you don't have dual-sups, you'll have to reload the chassis.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net [mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Jeff Cartier
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:05 AM
To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: [c-nsp] Questions about upgrading and image of a Modular IOS

This will be my first experience with the new Cisco Modular IOS.  I am
tasked with upgrading the IOS (which is already modular) of a 6500.

The current image is already installed on disk0:/sys...

Just for peace of mind, and a good nights sleep :-)...I was hoping for
some confirmation from the group if this is the correct way to upgrade
the IOS (the boss is against patching the IOS).  So here are my steps...

1)       copy the new IOS to disk0:

2)       'install file disk0:<IOS image> disk0:/newsys

3)       'install bind disk0:/newsys'

4)       Change the boot statements within the configuration to set the
new IOS to first boot, setting the old IOS to send boot...just in case
:-).

5)       Reload

My questions are on steps 3 and 5.

Step 3 - Am I supposed to be installing the file into a different
directory than the current (ie. /sys vs /newsys).  It is my
understanding that if I try to install the new IOS into the current
directory it will ask to overwrite the image, which I don't want, as I
would like to keep the 'known good' image as a backup.

Step 5 - Am I just being old school, or do I need to reload the chassis?
Is their a more time effective method, or is this just for patching.

Thanks to All!!!