[c-nsp] Questions about upgrading and image of a Modular IOS

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Jul 24 03:26:59 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 09:04:40AM -0400, Jeff Cartier wrote:
> Just for peace of mind, and a good nights sleep :-)...I was hoping for
> some confirmation from the group if this is the correct way to upgrade
> the IOS (the boss is against patching the IOS).  So here are my steps...

How does Cisco currently deal with "modular IOS" upgrades and patches?

Are there patches available at all (and yes, where to find them)?  If yes,
can these patches be used to upgrade from, say, SXI1 to SXI2, or will they
only fix gaping security holes?  Are the rules for "what will be in a
patch and what not" documented somewhere?

We're in the process of upgrading a few boxes from SXI1 to SXI2 due to
BGP memory leaks.  Currently, this is "non-modular" code, but I wonder
if modular+patches would bring me the fixed BGPD without having to do
a full reload...

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de