[c-nsp] MTU wierdness

Jeff Fitzwater jfitz at Princeton.EDU
Fri Jul 24 11:00:30 EDT 2009

	Once you define the L2 MTU, packets on that VLAN can traverse any
ports on that VLAN up to that MTU, but if you need to route them and
retain the L2 MTU then the L3 SVI must have the same MTU.  You can
have the SVI different, say 1500, as long as you understand that the
packets will be fragged if larger than 1500, or dropped if the DF bit
is set.   If you have defined an SVI to a 9k+ MTU, that will force the
L2 interfaces on that vlan to be the same since they must carry that
size packets.

Well its sounds good anyway, but nobody knows everything ;~)

Jeff Fitzwater
OIT Networking & Communications Systems
Princeton University