[c-nsp] Cisco Catalyst 2960PD-8TT-L

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Mon Jul 27 16:16:10 EDT 2009

On 27/07/2009 19:57, Justin Shore wrote:
> Interesting. So they don't have a Cisco CLI but they have an otherwise
> limited CLI if you know the tricks to get into it. I don't think that
> will be helpful in RANCID though. I don't think I can make it jump
> through all the hoops necessary to get logged in or pass meta control
> characters. Interesting nonetheless though.

Well, they do have a limited Cisco CLI, which is enough for them to store
the complete switch configuration in a cisco-style configuration file.  You
can see this file if you boot into the bootprom (press either ESC or CTRL-U
on bootup on the serial console).  In theory you can also tftp this file up
to a tftp server, but from an automation point of view, the problem in
practice turns out to be getting past the stupid curses based interface and
dealing with the various models.

The SRW224, for example, doesn't support lcli at all, although at least it
supports browsers other than IE6/IE7.  I don't think the SLM series
supports lcli either - which is a pain, given that they are newer boxes and
support cisco style configuration files (the SRW224 config files are binary).

On a "delenda est carthago" note, whoever in Linksys made the dysfunctional
decision only to support IE6/IE7 seriously needs to be kicked up the ass.

Nick