[c-nsp] Humor: Cisco announces end of BGP

Buhrmaster, Gary gtb at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 29 15:29:47 EDT 2009

> At 15:36 29/07/2009 -0300, Rubens Kuhl wrote:
> >Hank,
> >
> >Any news on what exactly was EOL'ed ?
>
> I think it was a mistake on their part.

When I saw it I thought it was one of the (various)
license options that we all (were supposed to have)
bought to run BGP on certain boxes, and that Cisco
has recently been bundling into the IOS licenses
(technically, it was the InterDomain Routing License
option as I recall, but that meant BGP).  So it
certainly made sense for the license to be EOL'd.
So, I never bothered to look further.

BGP worked with or without the license (no checks
in IOS), but one was supposed to license the use
of BGP, which we did (for the 7200s, the 7500s, and
the 6500s where appropriate).

Cisco makes it difficult to determine the license
requirements for features.  A gold star for those
that knew (ahead of time) that they needed to
purchase the FR-IOSSLB license.

Gary