[c-nsp] CISCO AS5300 Shuts Down Abruptly

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jul 29 20:18:18 EDT 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Teddy A. wrote:

> Hi, I have been struggling with this issue for almost 10 days now. I have a
> Cisco AS5300 which is being used as an NAS for Dialup and ISDN clients. A
> few days back it shut down abruptly and I had to pull out the power cord
> from the back and plug it back in again to start it up, since then now it is
> shutting down every 5min or so. I have tried to connect the console cable
> and monitor to see if there are any error logs or anything it shows before
> going down, but there is nothing, it just dies.

If by shut down, you mean all the lights go out, fans stop, etc., then it
sounds like you may have a power supply gone bad.  If you mean it stops
working, but lights are on, fans are spinning, just the software's locked
up, then it be all sorts of things.  If it's doing either of things with
ethernet and PRIs disconnected, it's almost certainly a hardware/power
issue...and not a software one.  You're probably going to have to replace
the unit.