[c-nsp] BFD + BGP on 7600 SRC or SRD

Walter Keen walter.keen at RainierConnect.net
Thu Jul 30 11:37:16 EDT 2009

I am looking to use it on vlan interfaces, I have one with 12.2(33)SRC2
and it appears to support the option in the config, but I wanted to know
if there were known bugs before I deployed it.

We have a situation where a peer currently connected via bgp at two
locations has traffic routed to our voice softswitch, and are trying to
provide an almost-realtime cutover between our two links to them in the
event of a fiber cut.

example topology

CM

  /\
A   B
 |    |
 C--D---SS

Forgive the bad ascii drawing.  CM is the partner's CMTS, running eigrp
between CM and A/B, all within their AS.  Details of how many routers
are between CM and A/B is unclear.
C and D are our 7600 series routers, with a BGP link to A/B
repsectively.  C is connected via an electrical 100mbit connection,
where the D portion of C->D and B->D is a Gig-E metro-ethernet
connection, with the BGP session in a vlan (hence, if the fiber to D
gets cut, B is unaware that the link is down until the bgp hold timers
expire)
SS is our softswitch, and there are voip cablemodems on the partners
cmts (CM).  In the event of a fiber cut to D, we want as fast of
failover to the link through C as possible.  There is also another route
from C to D through another network, routing across it is not a problem,
OSPF seems to do a decent job of that.

The partner also is set on doing either static routing or BGP, and not
wanting to introduce any other protocols into their edge routers for
peering.

What is the best option for this scenario?  In the interim I've lowered
the BGP timers so we have a hold time of 15sec, but that still means
dropped calls.

--

Walter Keen
Network Technician