[c-nsp] Opensource tool to measure Jitter for VoIP

Bryan Campbell bbc at misn.com
Mon Jun 8 08:46:06 EDT 2009

You cannot measure VOIP (sip) jitter using ICMP tools.  You will only
isolate false positives when the ICMP is not doing well.

Route or mirror the customers traffic trough a monitoring station.  Run
tcpdump or Wireshark to get a pcap file that contains traffic of
interest.  Wash the pcap file through the Wireshark VOIP analysis tool
to find your jitter.  It is a standard tool in Wireshark.

If you can't find jitter in this manner, it cannot be found.  If it
cannot be found, it doesn't exist.

bbc at misn.com