[c-nsp] ASR7401 and PA-FE-TX (ISL)

Elmar K. Bins elmi at 4ever.de
Mon Jun 8 17:03:27 EDT 2009

Re folks,

my private 7401 felt a bit empty, and I bought an ISL for it
(this should be the mgt interface, not much bandwidth).

I wonder if it is broken, or if I am doing something wrong, or
if this just cannot work because I'm too st00p1d and bought the
wrong thing...

The "show interface" output is quite interesting. No input packets,
but hundreds of thousands of input errors _per second_:

rt#sh int f1/0
FastEthernet1/0 is up, line protocol is up
  Hardware is DEC21140A, address is 000a.4230.841c (bia 000a.4230.841c)
  Internet address is *.*.*.*
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit, DLY 100 usec,
     reliability 245/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive set (10 sec)
  Full-duplex, Unknown Speed, 100BaseTX/FX
  ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
  Last input never, output never, output hang never
  Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
  Queueing strategy: fifo
  Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
  30 second input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
  30 second output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
     0 packets input, 0 bytes
     2770584934 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 42604211 overrun, 2727980723 ignored
     0 watchdog
     2432 packets output, 242733 bytes, 0 underruns
     0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
     2078 lost carrier, 0 no carrier

Needless to say, I cannot see anything there and I cannot ping the
address with a direct connection either...

Config is straightforward:

interface FastEthernet1/0
 ip address *.*.*.* *.*.*.*
 load-interval 30
 duplex full
end

(I explicitly set the media-type, but that was obviously alright)

Of course the switch (3560) the box is connected to has full-duplex
configured on the if.

Any ideas?
		Elmar.