[c-nsp] 3750E and X2-10GB-ZR compatibility?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Jun 10 09:52:13 EDT 2009

Just a quick question: The 3750E doesn't support X2-10GB-ZR
tranceivers[1], only up to ER. Using "service unsupported-transceiver" I
can get the switch to recognize the transceiver, but will I be able to
get a link with it?

It's for testing part of a fiber stretch, so it's not for production.
Does anybody have any experience that can confirm or deny any of the
following:

- Could it damage the transceiver?
- Could it damage the switch?
- Would I be able to get link up with it? (The other end is a similar
transceiver in a WS-X6708-10GE-3C module.)
- If I got link up, could I trust this to generally work?

The problem is that the last part of the stretch isn't finished yet, and
it's a little much to carry around a 6506 chassis for testing purposes.

(We have OTDR btw, just want to do a "live" test.)

Thanks in advance.

--
Peter Rathlev

[1]: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modu
les/compatibility/matrix/OL_6974.html#wp48759
(http://tinyurl.com/yooxks)