[c-nsp] full routing table / provider-class chassis

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Wed Jun 10 20:58:04 EDT 2009

I've been trying to spec Cisco for an upgrade of our Force10 backbone
for nearly 2 months now.  I'm just trying to clarify which platform
Cisco recommends for full routing table/hardware forwarding/provider-
class environments.

Unfortunately every time I get through to the supposed right group, I
mention our requirements and Cisco never follows up.  It's almost like
they realize they have nothing on Juniper and they don't even bother.
They are about to be eliminated from the choices for lack of having an
answer.

Until they decide to care, is there anyone on here willing to propose
a basic platform for provider-class environment?  By which I mean

* Full IPv4 & v6 routing table  (Cisco has 760k v4/260k v6 I know with
SUP720/3CXL)
* ASIC-based line-rate forwarding (SUP720-3CXL and DFC-3CXL on each
line card, right?)
* 196 ports copper 10/100/1000
* 40 ports SFP 1g  (on two line cards, not one)
* 96+ BGP peers, 8-10 full routing table peers

Unfortunately, Cisco's partners are useless.  They propose 6509s
without the DFCs, which we know will fall over.   And as I understand
it, the 6509 even with the 3CXL cards can't handle 5 full peers,
nevermind 96 total peers.   Most people suggest the 7600 platform, but
at least two comments on the mailing list indicate it isn't much better.

What are people using today for this kind of environment?  Does it work?

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness