[c-nsp] full routing table / provider-class chassis

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Jun 11 11:23:10 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 05:17:01PM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> > Are you saying that the limit on the number of routes, is actually in
> > the FIB, ie active routes, so currently would always be about 280k, and
> > multiple full tables is OK.
>
> BGP paths that don't go to the FIB are not "routes".  They are just prefixes
> with path info.
>
> (In other words: yes).

To clarify: this is the way *Cisco* does it.  Information gets collected
inside routing processes, routing processes (here: BGP) select a "winner"
amoing all candidates (= 1 route out of many BGP paths), and the result
goes to the FIB (if it's the protocol with the best preference).

As far as I understand, Juniper handles this a bit different, with no
separate tables for "inside BGP" stuff, so things might look different
there.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de