[c-nsp] cisco-nsp Digest, Vol 79, Issue 37

Jeff Bacon bacon at walleyesoftware.com
Thu Jun 11 14:00:52 EDT 2009

> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 15:41:24 +0200
> From: Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de>
> To: Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com>
> Cc: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
> Subject: Re: [c-nsp] full routing table / provider-class chassis
>

> (Yes, caveats apply.  With LAN hardware, you always have issues with
> microbursts and buffering.  But ES/CRS - or Juniper - hardware is LOTS
> of extra money.)
>
> gert

So is there a good way to watch/track microbursts? I don't care if it
buffers, but in our environment (lot of market data) we suffer from
a) regular microbursts (micro meaning in the 1s or less timeframe)
b) no really good way to measure or capture them short of putting packet
sniffers on lines and sorting through packet dumps ex-post-facto.

We're using 6500/720-3BXL hardware but could buy other hardware (though
I imagine that's not the problem). Traffic comes in over gig fiber or
various metro-e, NYC metro area.

Our general answer is "throw more bandwidth at the problem" - which is
fine; the problem is knowing _when_ we need to, short of finding out
from end-users.

-bacon