[c-nsp] cisco-nsp Digest, Vol 79, Issue 37

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Thu Jun 11 14:56:52 EDT 2009

input and output drops on the interface are the key (depending on
direction). Microbursting is a problem with the short term sustained rate
overflows the input or output hardware buffer. If the system can't dequeue
the packets faster enough the you will get tail drops. With a 6500/720-3BXL
the problem with microbursting is going to be in the linecard.

With a 67xx series linecard you shouldn't receive microbursting unless you
have a very congested fabric or are saturating the interface
With a 65xx series linecard it will depend on the rate. On an otherwise
normal utilization microbursting shouldn't be a big problem
With a 61xx,62xx, 63xx the buffers are pretty shallow, hence their
positioning as access linecards for end users

All this depends on hardware switching. If something is causing the packets
to be punted to the CPU, then microbursting drops can occur on any linecard.

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
OTA Management LLC | Purchase, NY 10577
http://www.ox.com  | Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff  | Fax:   914-460-4139