[c-nsp] x6148 vs. x6548

Bill Blackford BBlackford at nwresd.k12.or.us
Thu Jun 11 22:20:14 EDT 2009

I've recently learned that the ws-x6148-ge-tx has 6 gig ASICs, one for every 8 ports thusly rendering this line card to a 8:1 oversubscription ratio. I've also learned that an etherchannel is limited to 1 gig, great for redundancy, but slow as all get up.

I'm buying a ws-x6548-ge-tx in hope that it can do much better (I didn't have enough in my budget for a x6748). How does the 6548 compare to the 6148? I have a pair of shiny new sup720-3bxl's.

Thank you for any insight from the field as Cisco's site seems best suited for the marketing of products.

-b

--
Bill Blackford
Senior Network Engineer