[c-nsp] x6148 vs. x6548

Chris Phillips cphillips at wbsconnect.com
Thu Jun 11 22:31:55 EDT 2009

Bill,

One caveat that jumps to mind is the max MTU of 1518 instead of the far
more desirable 9216.  We ran into some MPLS VC issues with MTU mismatch
that forced us to re-engineer and/or upgrade those blades.

Give this a read before you buy anything:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/product_data_sheet0900aecd8017376e_ps4835_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Good luck with your decision.

Bill Blackford wrote:
> I've recently learned that the ws-x6148-ge-tx has 6 gig ASICs, one for every 8 ports thusly rendering this line card to a 8:1 oversubscription ratio. I've also learned that an etherchannel is limited to 1 gig, great for redundancy, but slow as all get up.
>
> I'm buying a ws-x6548-ge-tx in hope that it can do much better (I didn't have enough in my budget for a x6748). How does the 6548 compare to the 6148? I have a pair of shiny new sup720-3bxl's.
>
> Thank you for any insight from the field as Cisco's site seems best suited for the marketing of products.
>
> -b
>
> --
> Bill Blackford
> Senior Network Engineer