[c-nsp] 6500/SUP32 - RP ROMMON upgrade?

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+cisco-nsp at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 19:53:57 EDT 2009

Hi,

<semi-hijack>

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Graham Wooden<graham at g-rock.net> wrote:

> I just updated the SP¹s ROMMON on a Sup32 to the latest,
> c6ksup32-rm2.srec.122-18r.SX9.  However, can this same file be applied to
> update the RP's ROMMON as well?  While logged into CCO I have only came
> across docs that referred to the SP upgrade. I guess no biggie if the SP and
> RP have difference ROMMON versions, I was just curious.

I'm curious about how many people out there manage ROMMON/bootflash
images in the same way the 'main' image is managed.

In one customer network, there are tens of 7200s running 12.4T code
with 12.3-based boot code. The same network has 20+ 6500s
(sup32/sup720) running various 12.2(18)SXF images and I doubt anyone's
ever given a second thought to 'auxiliary' code like ROMMON or any
other flashable components.

So, is stuff like ROMMON a set-and-forget or
never-even-thought-about-it thing for you, or do you actively track
image availability and factor upgrades in to your broader platform
management activities? Is it considered good practice, for example, to
match 7200 series boot flash revs with the main image, or does this
fall into the "if it ain't broke, .." category?

cheers,
Dale