[c-nsp] full routing table / provider-class chassis

Kevin Graham kgraham at industrial-marshmallow.com
Mon Jun 15 14:48:26 EDT 2009

> Hah, keep drinking the cool aid!  I have a pair of 6500s ready to fall
> over at about 150kpps.  All WS-67xx LAN cards with DFCs.  CPU averages
> 60% and often maxes.
>
> No netflow, no uRPF, no multicast, no IPv6, no BFD, no MPLS, no ACLs
> in the forwarding plane.  Very basic OSPF, BGP, and MSTP.  About 2000
> VLANs, 80% of which have associated layer 3 SVIs.

...which of course is mostly irrelevant to the forwarding performance.
If its just a handy opportunity to bitch, go for it, but as others
mentioned, something's not right. "ready to fall over at 150kpps" is
only right if traffic is being entirely software switched on the MSFC3.

Barring that, the main thing that SP/RP would be seeing is mac-learning
and ARP (for which an above-average load would be reasonable assuming
with ~default values and a correspondingly high number of hosts to go
along with those ~2000 vlans).