[c-nsp] Global Route Leaking on same PE

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Tue Jun 16 13:04:28 EDT 2009

Clue Store wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Looked through the archives but couldn't find anything about this specific
> issue. I'm trying to leak a route from the global table on a PE to an
> iterface that is on the same PE but I get the folowwing when I try to just
> point it to a loopback.....
>
> ip route vrf test 64.193.x.x 255.255.255.248 192.168.222.1 global
> %Invalid next hop address (it's this router)

Sure.  You need a pair of VS 6509s with SUP720-3BXLs, a few FWSMs, and a
CRS-1 backup...

Just kidding.  This seems to come up every few months, and yes, I've
asked myself some time ago.  There is no easy and elegant way to do
this, AFAIK.  And believe me, I've tried.

VRF-to-VRF, piece of cake.  Global-to-anything else, or anything
else-to-global, it just isn't happening.  The global table is sacred.

If you have redundant PEs, you can point the "next-hops" to each other
and satisfy the criteria to bleed the route.  You can also set an
interface in each endpoint and physically cable them together, as
depressing as that may sound.  I resorted to a FWSM, which also works in
the same manner as the naked cable loop.

What you and most everyone else that asks really wants is import/export
functionality involving the global table to be as straightforward as it
is for VRF route-targets, but so far, it just isn't available.

Jeff