[c-nsp] Sup720 vs RSP720 - Difference?

Tom Lanyon tom at netspot.com.au
Mon Jun 22 20:05:45 EDT 2009

On 23/06/2009, at 7:22 AM, Lukasz Bromirski wrote:

> On 2009-06-22 23:12, MKS wrote:
>
>>> For example ASR 1k with RP1 or RP2 end properly sized ESP. Look
>>> for the
>>> cisco.com site for details.
>> Does someone as some performance reference regarding the netflow
>> implementation for the ASR1K ?
>> How dues it scale and that sampling options are there?
>
> The size of flow cache is dependent upon the ESP used.
> For ESP5 it's 512k entries, for ESP10 it's 1M and for ESP20 it's 2M,
> essentially the QFP is doing all the processing, RP is responsible
> only for export. Sampling up to 1:1 is supported, with v5/v8/v9.

Does anyone know how the newer architecture of the ASR1k ESP compares
to a 7200 NPE-G2 in regards to 'all services enabled' performance? If
I recall previous discussions on this list, it's fairly easy to
overload the CPU on the NPE when you start enabling QoS, NetFlow,
WCCP, FPM, etc. Do the ASR1k ESPs do this any better?

The ESP data sheets show a 50-60% pps performance decrease with
'commonly-used features' enabled so I assume its fairly similar, but
the ESP provides a higher maximum throughput so enabling features is
not so much of an issue? At least with the ESP, Cisco are providing
some theoretical maximum vs standard performance figures.

-Tom