[c-nsp] Sup720 vs RSP720 - Difference?

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Tue Jun 23 15:06:09 EDT 2009

Tom Lanyon wrote:

> Does anyone know how the newer architecture of the ASR1k ESP compares to
> a 7200 NPE-G2 in regards to 'all services enabled' performance? If I
> recall previous discussions on this list, it's fairly easy to overload
> the CPU on the NPE when you start enabling QoS, NetFlow, WCCP, FPM, etc.
> Do the ASR1k ESPs do this any better?

Since the ASR does most things in hardware, most of the basic features
shouldn't hit the RP unless something is configured wrong.  Normal QoS
and NetFlow shouldn't be a strain on the RP (except for Netflow
exporting).  I don't know about the more unusual features like WCCP.
You would probably fair far better on the ASR than the 7600 or 7200 for
those I imagine.  That's my limited understanding of the ASR though.
I'm looking at them as a replacement/upgrade for a few 7200s on our network.

Justin