[c-nsp] PIX/ASA Change Control

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Fri Jun 26 01:17:40 EDT 2009

Like Ryan said, clogin takes care of it.  The only problem I've run into
is with v8.2 of the ASA code.  Some nimrod programmer thought it would
be a good idea to store config related to the new core dump option in
v8.2 in a text file on the flash volume.  The programmer also decided to
update this file every time 'sh run' is executed.  So every time RANCID
would run against at v8.2 ASA it would execute 'sh run' (write term
actually) which would cause the text file to be regenrated (though
nothing in the file changed) with a new timestamp; then when RANCID
extracted the contents of 'dir all' it would alert you that a timestamp
had changed on a file on the flash volume.  Genius!  I worked with TAC
to get that identified as a bug.  Earlier this week my TAC engineer
posted a interim release that is supposed to fix the issue.  I haven't
had a chance to apply it just yet.  If anyone wants the BugID so you can
request the fixed image from TAC let me know; it hasn't been rolled into
a publicly-accessible interim release yet.

Other than that RANCID is fantastic.  I unleash RANCID on my equipment
once an hour.  In a way it's also like a TripWire check for my network
devices.  If something changes that I know I didn't change then I have
cause to investigate.  This actually led me to discover a compromised
router about 3 years ago.  Someone set up a GRE tunnel out of a router
I'd recently taken control over (but hadn't migrated AAA yet or hardened
to my standards).  The tunnel hit a server in Korea.  They pointed
several statics across the tunnel including some that covered Paypal and
Amazon.  I'm assuming they were trying to steal credit card info.  I
found the RANCID diff emails the next morning when I got to work and had
the router cleaned up inside of an hour.  RANCID has been an absolute
life saver for me several dozen times.

Justin