[c-nsp] Fun with interface counters.

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Tue Jun 30 17:59:00 EDT 2009

I assume this is either a bug, or something else equally enjoyable.

Today, I noticed that one of our switches was acting up, so I logged into it and did the usual show interfaces, sh proc cpu sort, etc etc.

I noticed that the switch's uplink interface indicated that it was doing 700Mbps to the router it is connected to, the router indicated that it was only getting 200Mbps from the switch.

So either there is a counter bug, or the switch was sending traffic that was being dropped by the router or dropped later by the switch (after it was counted?), or something else equally amusing?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this/seen this before?

Thanks!