[c-nsp] strange message at boot "Can't insert config node for vrf=default"

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Mar 3 12:13:45 EST 2009

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 06:01:32PM +0100, luismi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have here a 2960 switch with 12.2(46) lan base.
> After the switche has booted correctly I can see..
>
> [...]
> % Can't insert config node for vrf=default
>

> Press RETURN to get started!
>
> What is the reason for the message "Can't insert config node for
> vrf=default"?

	cisco doesn't do effective testing of the boot-up mode of the device so
does not notice these types of things, and when they are noticed they are logged
as sev5 or sev6 defects since they are not seen as critical.

	there is also the problem that the parser operates in two modes, one
for processing the config at boot-time, and another for processing the config
at runtime.  This is why it will translate some older-style configuration bits
but you can no longer enter them.

	Without knowing your full config, it's hard to say what caused the above,
but if everything is working fine, or you are not using VRFs it's likely cosmetic.
I do encourage you to ask cisco to fix the defect, but don't expect it to be
quickly resolved.

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net