[c-nsp] CPU utilization on a Cisco 3560E switch

Vincent Aniello vincent.aniello at pipelinefinancial.com
Wed Mar 4 18:23:49 EST 2009

We have two Cisco 3560E switches that during the day when the network
traffic load is high run at about 40% CPU utilization.   This is much
higher than on our other 3650E switches that sit at about 10% CPU
utilization even when the network traffic load is high.

What I have noticed is that when I log into the switch with the 40% CPU
utilization, either via SSH or through the console, the CPU utilization
drops to 10% and stays there as long as I remain logged into the switch.
Once I log out the CPU utilization goes back up to 40%.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to see what process is causing the high
CPU utilization since it drops down when we are logged into the switch.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior?  The switch is running IOS
version 12.2(46)SE.

We are tracking the CPU utilization through MRTG.

Thanks.

--Vincent

Disclaimer: Any references to Pipeline performance contained herein are based on internal testing and / or historic performance levels which Pipeline expects to maintain or exceed but nevertheless does not guarantee.  Congested networks, price volatility, or other extraordinary events may impede future trading activities and degrade performance statistics. Pipeline is a member of FINRA and SIPC.