[c-nsp] Tracking connection resets on a 7500 trunking GEIP+

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Mar 11 17:20:47 EDT 2009

Ok, I'm having an odd difficulty, and am trying to determine how to go about
troubleshooting it.

I have two routers at my border, a 7401ASR and a 7507/RSP8, both running 12.4
mainline.  The two routers are both running iBGP to each other and eBGP to my
provider.  The two routers are providing HSRP to a server subnet, an APS-
protected OC3 POS WAN link, and Stateful NAT with several static entries and a
dynamic pool.  CBAC is in use, and the ACL isn't terribly long.

The two routers connect to both the server farm and the ISP through two Gige
trunks to a Catalyst 5505 switch, using two SupIIIG's for the GigE-LX trunks
and a WS-X5225R 24 port 10/100 blade to connect to the ISP through a pair of
ports on two VLANs, and to the server farm through other VLANs.

While the 7401 (the APS protect) is active on the OC3 and set as active for
HSRP, everything works as it should.  When the 7507 is doing this duty, some
websites become deathly slow, to the point of showing 'connection reset by
peer' errors.

I'm looking for just a pointer or two as to how to trace this issue and narrow
down to the port on the Cat5505 SupIIIG, the two GBIC's, the fiber path, the
GEIP+ on the 7507, or maybe even the RSP8 on the 7507.  I do see a very few
framing errors on the GigE between the GEIP+ and the SupIIIG, but they are
very few and far between.

So any pointer (except 'upgrade your hardware') is desired.  I would love to
upgrade, but, in this economy?

The best idea I've had yet is to remove the 7401, replace with another known
good 7507 that I have, drop to 12.0S, and do my NAT and firewalling on this end
of the OC3 with a single or dual 7401ASR setup (using hardware I have at my
disposal).  Then I'll use GRE tunnels to the RSFC's on the two SupIIIG's to
get to the server farm at that end.