[c-nsp] Fast IGP on 6500 & gigE

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Mar 16 12:44:42 EDT 2009

All,

Given a mix of 6748-SFP, 6704 and 6716 linecards, with SXI software, and
OSPF over SVIs, what are people successfully using to speed up link loss
and subsequent IGP convergence?

Our config broadly looks like:

int Vlan38xx
   description p2p to another router
   ip address 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.254
   ip ospf network point-to-point

int Te1/1
   switchport
   switchport mode trunk
   switchport trunk native vlan 38xx

router ospf 1
   ispf
   nsf
   network 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.255

...and then the various LDP & BGP configs on top. I'm assuming I want
some combination of:

  1. debounce / carrier-delay (what's the difference) on the gigE
  2. IP event dampening on the SVI
  3. faster timers on the SFP process; possibly as a conservative start:

timers throttle spf 10 100 5000
timers throttle lsa all 10 100 5000
timers lsa arrival 80

The idea is that most routers are dual-attached, so I just want to
underlying IGP to converge quickly. I'll tackle the LDP and BGP later...

I'm not able to use BFD (since it doesn't work on SVIs under SXI) and
I'm only worried about physical link-down - we don't have any weird
layer2 between routers except in a few out-of-the way places, and they
can just suffer.

I realise some of these answers are "it depends" on the size of your
network; there are ~25 routers participating in the OSPF, all reasonably
recent and modern, it's a single area 0 design, and it has ~58 p2p &
loopbacks (via router LSAs) another 18 E2 routes.

It seems to take ~6msec for an OSPF adjacency to form between two
routers, almost all of which is in INIT->2WAY so I'm guessing SPF is
going to be pretty quick.

Suggestions welcome, although "ask Cisco to tell you" is less helpful;
I'd like to have some independent understanding of how we arrived at the
numbers, and be able to repeat the process in future ;o)