[c-nsp] Fast IGP on 6500 & gigE

Marcus.Gerdon Marcus.Gerdon at versatel.de
Mon Mar 16 13:41:52 EDT 2009

Hi,

you've written most routers are dual-attached, so the concern mostly is failure detection and not re-establishment of a neighbor I think. If you go into debounce or carrier-delay you'll raise the convergence time as a link failure will be ignored for a short time before processes are notified.

OSPF should immediately react on an link-down event, so I'd try to speed it up this way. If you use 2 separate SVI for the 2 connections and each VLAN has only 1 port it is allowed in (either a single access port or exactly 1 trunk port) the SVI should go down along with that single port.

Playing around the timers I keep for last resort - as there's always the risk to de-stabilize the network seriously (I've seen people trying to get the last second out of a protocol resulting in occasional burn-downs far too often).

regards,

Marcus