[c-nsp] SXI high cpu usage and rp inband SPAN feature not available

schilling schilling2006 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 16:42:38 EDT 2009

We installed SXI Advanced Enterprise in one of our catalyst 6500 with
sup720-3BXL, and the box is having persistent high CPU over 90%/80%
where we have normal cpu utilization around 30%.   I played with RP
SPAN on our SXF11 before, it's good to see what is punted to CPU
according to the following Doc,

SPAN RP-Inband and SP-Inband
A SPAN for the RP or SP port in Cisco IOS Software is available in
Cisco IOS Software Release 12.1(19)E and later.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a00804916e0.shtml

But the feature is not in the current SXI even the configuration guide
has that feature documented.
http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/span.html#wp1089465

test(config)#monitor session 1 ?
  destination  SPAN destination interface or VLAN
  filter              SPAN filter VLAN
  source          SPAN source interface, VLAN

test(config)#monitor session 1 source ?
  interface                                   SPAN source interface
  intrusion-detection-module   SPAN source intrusion-detection-module
  remote                                      SPAN source Remote
  vlan                                           SPAN source VLAN

test#remote login switch
Trying Switch ...
Entering CONSOLE for Switch
Type "^C^C^C" to end this session

test-sp#monitor ?
  elog         Event-logging control commands
  event-trace  Control event tracing

test-sp#test monitor ?
  crash  test crash

Schilling